ReCyclore Ottawa Bicycle Cooperative
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thread adhesives

3 posters

Go down

Thread adhesives Empty Thread adhesives

Post by Admin Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 am

I have been working up a tools list and I notice that many places mention thread adhesives such as Loctite ie "thread locker that helps keep bolts in place and stop them from vibrating loose." Should we be using these?

Also mentioned in some sources is Carbon Assembly Paste to use on carbon seatposts, stems, and handlebars. Anyone have any experience with this?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://recyclore.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Thread adhesives Empty Locktite

Post by RayB Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:34 pm

I have worked with locktite in the past and it works very well. However, I have never heard of it being used on bikes and don't personally see the requirement for it in bicycle mechanics. My feeling is that over time it seems hard enough to remove parts due to oxidization alone and the use of thread treatment other than oil or grease is going to exacerbate the issue.
RayB
RayB

Back to top Go down

Thread adhesives Empty Re: Thread adhesives

Post by Mike K Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:24 pm

Ray

That's what I would have thought, but more than a few places mentioned it, so I wondered. And yes, if you could find that right mix of salt, dirt and rust you'd have the world's most amazing binding agent.
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Thread adhesives Empty Re: Thread adhesives

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum